Visa Series: NAFTA Professional Worker Visa TN


Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

The non immigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. Learn more about eligibility on the USCIS website.


There are several steps in the process and may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Consult the instructions available on the embassy or consulate website where you will apply.

  1. Complete the Online Visa Application Form DS-160.
  2. Print the application form confirmation barcode page to bring to your interview.
  3. Upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160.
  4. Schedule an appointment for your visa interview, generally, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live.

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early. You can get the interview wait time for the location where you will apply.


Pay the non-refundable visa application fee, if you are required to pay it before your interview. When your visa is approved, you may also pay a visa issuance fee.


Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States for at least six months beyond your period of stay.
  • Non immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation barcode page.
  • Printed photo if the photo upload to Form DS-160 fails.
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
  • A contract or letter of employment in the United States in one of the professional occupations listed in Appendix 1306.d.1 of NAFTA Chapter 16. The letter should also include:

– Your purpose of entry;

– A detailed description of your anticipated business activities or job responsibilities;

– Your anticipated length of stay in the United States;

– Your educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;

– Evidence of your compliance with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations and/or state laws; and

– Arrangements for your pay.

Documentation proving that you meet the minimum education and/or work experience requirements set forth in Appendix 1603.d.1 of NAFTA chapter 16 – Evidence of education would include degrees, diplomas, certificates, professional licenses, and /or membership in professional organizations. To demonstrate your experience, present letters from former employers. If you were self-employed, provide your business records.


Mexican citizen spouses and unmarried, minor children may apply for TD visas to accompany you to the United States or join you later. U.S. Embassies and Consulates recognize opposite gender spouses and same-sex marriages as the same. You must be able to show your ability to financially support your family in the United States.

Canadian citizen spouses and children do not need visas but should review the CBP website for the port of entry requirements.

For a complete procedure of these visa types, or other visa types not covered here, please visit the U.S. Department of State website for U.S. Visas.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *